Saturday, September 20, 2008

10K Levee Run... Mission Complete



I came, I saw, I ran, I got a tee-shirt, woo-hoo!!
I finished the 10K in 45:51 (~7.5min mile pace). The fastest time was around 32 min which was too rich for my blood. It was so tempting to run fast at the beginning because most people were. They started the 5K and 10K race at the same time, so I had to ignore those faster runners doing the 5K at first because I was in it for the long haul and had to pace myself more than they did. My legs were really feeling the effects of the run after mile 3, then my left calf muscle began to cramp and hurt at mile 4. So, I accomplished my goal of finishing the race!!! Oh, and BTW, I did happen to get the 1st place trophy in my age division (25-29), so that was exciting as well.


2 comments:

Mary said...

Great job...I am so jealous!!! But I never was a great runner. My last 5K time was 47min...but I walked most of it b/c I convinced a friend to do it with me that had never ran more than 2 miles, so I wasn't going to leave her.
I am so proud of you!!!!
I have even started running again, and have gotten a group of chicks from school to commit to running wednesdays after class at a local track. Yea for running!!!!

Mike said...

I am so proud of you for running again. A funny but sad story about the race is that it was both a 5k and 10k ran at the same time on the same course, a simple out-and-back with a turn-around point. The 5k just had an earlier turn-around point. Well, the volunteer who was going to man the 5k turn-around bailed-out at the last minute and the turn-around wasn't marked clearly, so several people running the 5k ran farther than they were supposed to. Some ran 7k, while other 5k'ers just ran the whole 10k. It was a mess because most people's times were well over 20min when their running pace was much faster than that. Those poor people hoping for a nice not-too-long/not-too-short run ended up getting worked over. But I agree, Yay for running! But man, I am so sore :(