Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Derby Car


The Elder's Quorum had a pinewood derby with two rules: (1) No open flames, (2) It has to fit on the track. There were various types of cars: some went for speed, others went for aerodynamics, and then there was me. I went for shear weight and some style. I was looking for ideas about derby cars and saw one for a humvee. The humvee they showed was way too lame and had no texture or fenders, but I like the idea and I decided to design my own. What's pictured is what I came up with. It was loaded as full as possible with fishing weights and weighed over two pounds. I cut out and painted pieces of milk jug for the doors, head lights, and grill. The bumper is actually a hanger that I cut-up, shaped, and later painted. The gun is from a army guy that Jacob had from a while back which was sitting around forever because Michelle didn't want small pieces around Jacob because of the potential for Lizzy getting it and choking on it. The guy is make from two fishing weights that I painted.

My humvee lost the first race, won the second, and lost the third. When I was dinking around afterwards with a friend, the humvee's front axle and gunner met their untimely demise as the car fell off the track. But that's okay--nothing a little hot glue can't fix. I had fun :)

2 comments:

Mary said...

so, why did you get all the talent?? Not fair!!!
It looks like you had a blast...I am so not creative. I can look at something and copy it, but rarely can I think up something on my own.
I am getting good at scrapbooking...but only when Vanessa is around. I told her that I can only be creative when she is around, she thinks its funny!

Katelyn said...

That's the coolest derby car I've ever seen. Awesome!