Monday, October 20, 2008

San Antonio Update

Since I've been here over two weeks now, I suppose I can give my take on this area of Texas:

THE GOOD: wide open 4+ lane freeways, traffic delays are minimal, 60-65mph speed limit on freeways even in the heart of downtown, some extremely cool shopping areas all of which have movie theaters nearby, they have SeaWorld and a SixFlags, the Alamo's here, and new homes start at about $100,000.

THE BAD: lots of one-way roads including the frontage roads (the ones that parallel the freeways) which can add a lot of extra backtracking distance to your trip and wasted gas, the traffic lights are not that responsive to traffic conditions which take FOREVER to change green even when no one else is on the road, there are only two entrances to Ft. Sam Houston open 24/7 which makes the trip longer getting onto and off of base, EVERYTHING is under construction (the airport, the freeways, the side roads, etc), and the residents (the people I interact with on a daily basis) are a little more type-A personality-wise than my last rotation which adds stress to my day.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I just LOVE working with those kinds of people. There is even a nurse on our med-surg floor that all the students cringe if we find out she is working...but she seems to be nicer to the male students...yeah, it's totally fair!

I hope everything works out, and the experience is bearable!!

Are you working at an Army hospital?? I know our friends did some of their rehab after iraq in Tx...just not sure which area.

Mike said...

Yes, I am. Fort Sam Houston's Brooke Army Medical Center sees a huge number of injured soldiers from Iraq and unfortunately a disproportionate high number of burn victims and amputees because of their specialized additional facilities they have to offer these soldiers the best care possible due to the nature of their injuries. I've come to the the conclusion that there is no injury more disfiguring cosmetically than burns. It can get pretty depressing at times being around so many of them. My heart goes out to them: both in gratitude for their service, and sympathy for an injury that will forever be a major social barrier for them aside from the post-traumatic emotional and psychiatric barriers they already face.

Mary said...

Do they have an address to send the wounded soldier's Christmas cards??
I was thinking about doing a Christmas card drive so we can send our thoughts of love and appreciation during their recovery.
Can you find out??